Science, Nerdy, and Geeky Gift Ideas: 2017 Edition
December 08, 2017
Looking for the nerdiest of nerdy science gifts to give this holiday season? Bethany Brookshire and Rachelle Saunders have got you covered with our hand-picked selection of geek gifts that will speak to the scientist at heart.
Below is a list of the products discussed during this year's episode, plus a few more we also love but didn't have time to squee over in detail.
Science up your kitchen
- BRAIN FREEZE Ice Tray
Any cold beverage would be vastly improved by a brain made of ice.
- The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by J. Kenji López-Alt
Use science to boost your cooking powers. From Serious Eats's culinary nerd-in-residence J. Kenji López-Alt. Check out our interview with him on how he scienced up the chocolate chip cookie.
- Make Your Own Gin Kit
Comes with just that right amount of casual hipster aesthetic you'd expect from a handcrafted artisinal gin you can make at home.
- Beer Brewing Kit
If gin isn't your thing but you find the idea of making your own alcoholic beverage enticing, give beer brewing a try.
- Tea Sampler Gift Set in Test Tubes from TrioArtisanDesigns on Etsy
10 test tubes full of loose leaf tea in a snazzy wooden gift box. Or, if you want to make your own test tube gift box, you can get some empty test tubes for a little DIY gifting.
- Pi Pie Pan
What science nerd doesn't like a good pi pun? Make someone's future Pi Days extra special.
- The Proof Is In The Pudding Bowls
Speaking of puns, any pun loving math nerd would delight in these. Any meal is vastly improved by Euclid, Hippasus, Pythagoras, and Gauss.
For the crafty among us
- A knitted dissection from aKNITomy on Etsy
You probably know someone who will love this. Adorable and educational. You can get one pre-made and ready for wrapping or -- if you know a knitter -- you can get one as a DIY kit.
- Unobtainables: Fake Elements, Real Knits knitting patterns by Allison Sarnoff and Heatherly Walker
Knitting patterns inspired by fictional chemical elements. For the sci-fi/knitting/science nerd. We all know at least one... if you don't, it's probably you.
The tech collector
- Anki Cozmo robot
Adorable. Comes with a Python SDK so you can teach your little robot a bunch of new tricks. For the budding programmer or the experienced one.
- Sphero robot
- Waterproof Wireless Endoscope
I'm sure you can come up with interesting and useful things to do with this little -- and entirely affordable -- endoscope.
- Cellphone Magnifier
Zoom in on tiny things! Perfect for any budding geologist, biologist, urban explorer, or curious soul.
- Science themed Christmas sweater
- Star Trek TNG Uniform Messenger Bags
Explore strange new worlds with this sweet messenger bag. The most difficult part is choosing your colour.
- Svaha clothing
Stylish, comfortable science themed clothing for women and kids with -- are you ready -- pockets on every single piece. A++.
- Jupiter dress from Shenova
Show off your sciencey side at any part or any meeting. Check out their entire women in STEM collection.
- Anatomical Bone Socks
With labels. Educational and super nerdy.
- Anatomical Heart T-Shirt from CognitiveSurplus on Etsy
Anatomically correct word art you can wear.
- Silk scarves from artologica on Etsy
Beautiful, feminine and science inspired.
- LED Word Clock
For word nerds, and those who prefer "fuzzy" time telling.
- Brain Specimen Coasters
Rest your drink on a slice of brain. It's what all the cool kids are doing.
- Schrödinger's Cat Wanted Poster Art Print from TheFineLineEmporium on Etsy
Pairs well with the Schrödinger's Cat plush throw pillow below.
- Schrödinger's Cat Plush
Perfectly matches the Schrödinger's Cat art print above. Meant to be.
- Solar System Planet Pillows from pebbleplush on Etsy
Get the whole set above, or collect them one by one.
- Atom Electron Structure Poster Print from TheForestCloak on Etsy
A little bit retro, a lot science.
- Patent prints from STANLEYprintHOUSE on Etsy
These are beautiful. There are so many! You can mix and match them together to create great themed sets, pick your size to fit any space, and pick your print colour. I have so many ideas and not enough wall space... Some of our favs below!
- Downloadable DIY Anatomical Art Prints from ThePrintAnnex on Etsy
Give art on a smaller budget.
- Science, grammar and math art from GetYourNerdOn on Etsy
Their Science as Art series is stunning, minimalist, and brightly coloured.
Stuff some stockings
- Practice Lock Set with Transparent Cutaway Crystal Pin Tumbler
Learn how locks work and practice picking them.
- Nerdy pencils from NewtonAndTheApple on Etsy
Delightful, brightly coloured, and so much fun to receive in a stocking.
- Enigma II Encryption Machine
Encrypt some things the old fashion way!
- Classic Caesar Cipher Medallion Silver Decoder Ring
Make your stocking like a cereal from the 90s by adding a decoder ring, and have a pocket-sized way of checking for Caesar Ciphers. As one must do from time to time.
- Sugru Moldable Glue
Practical and fun! Moldable glue that sets strong by turning into silicone rubber. Make things, repair things. For all your DIY needs.
- LEGO Ideas Women of NASA
A fan-created set that hit the big time, featuring Nancy Grace Roman, Margaret Hamilton, Sally Ride and Mae Jemison.
- LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V
A meter-high scale replica of the NASA Apollo Saturn V. The question is not whether you should get it (you should) but where you're going to display it once you've built it.
- I Heart Guts plushies
So many to choose from! Top picks: Skin, Colon, Uterus, and of course the charming Heart
- Balloon Dog Anatomy
Ever wondered what a balloon dog looks like inside? Wonder no more!
- Bathing Ducky Funny Anatomy
Or maybe ducks are your thing, that's cool, there's one of those too for bath tub fun.
- Diffraction Glasses
Makes fireworks and concerts even more fun.
- Haynes Build Your Own V8 Engine
Learn how an engine works the best way: by putting one together.
- 2018 Poster Sized Bubble Wrap Calendar
Why have we only learned about this amazing calendar this year? Not so much science as just... really fun!